Getting in shape and staying fit doesn’t have to be a major chore. Sometimes you just don’t have time to get to the gym. Try these simple activities that fit right into your everyday schedule. You don’t even need a gym or any equipment to see results!
1. Go the long way. Running errands all day? Park in the farthest parking spot possible. This will force you to walk a little more than you normally would throughout the day. Plus, you’ll save time circling the parking lot for the closest spot you can find. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. If you take the bus or subway to work, get off a stop before your office and walk the extra distance. All of these steps really add up!
2. Squat. Any time you reach down to get something off the floor—whether it be your dirty laundry or something you dropped—do a squat. Keep your back straight, bend your knees, and lower your body toward the ground. Make sure your knees don’t extend over your toes. Squeeze your butt as you get the item, and then raise your body back up.
3. Stand and flex. When waiting in line at the grocery store or bank, try flexing your as for 10 seconds and repeat until you’re off the line. It will help make the time pass during these tedious errands, and it’s a quick and simple way to work your core without anyone even noticing!
4. Clean. Keep things clean and tidy all the time by making regular efforts to dust, mop, vacuum, sweep and put things away. These chores will keep your home sparkling and your body glistening from the physical workout.
5. Work out your legs at your desk! While seated, straighten one or both legs and hold in place for give or more seconds. Then lower the legs back to the ground without letting the feet touch the floor. It’s an easy way to work out while sitting down all day, and chances are no one will even notice with your legs under a desk!
6. Last but not least, laugh. A Vanderbilt University study found that 10 to 15 minutes of laughter could increase energy expenditure by up to 40 calories per day.